Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learn something new everyday

As classes begin here at UB, more and more structure is being added to my day.  This is weird, but I am so glad to have homework!  Today I traveled by Combi (almost like a mini bus that has a route, but will stop anywhere on that route) to the oldest mall in Gaborone, Main Mall.  While there I had to interview 3 street vendors about various things.  People were mostly friendly and willing to talk to me!  I got to hear about there personal stories and ideas about the market in Botswana.
I am slowly starting to learn the language of Setswana.  I am in an introductory class and we are as far as "I am from..."  It is somethings that I have never heard before, but in its own way, very beautiful.  I can't wait to be able to understand local students so I can start ease dropping more.
I have been living with my roommate for almost a week now and she is very nice! She lives in the more northern part of the country and travels 2+ hours to come and attend UB.
On Monday, I had the opportunity to hand wash my clothes.  Now if you know me, I do my laundry at least once a week and use washing machines and dryers, but not here.  It took me around an hour to wash maybe 10-13 things and then like 2 days for them to dry!  It was an experience.  I should have some pretty buff arms by the end of this from ringing out all my clothes.
I have been walking almost everywhere here, different malls, a hut to make copies, you name it, I probably walked there.  Now in theory, I would probably be losing weight, but if you add the amount of dirt I attain throughout the day and the delicious fat cakes I eat, it is probably a wash.  I also like to think I am getting tan, but it is actually just a dirt line from my shoes.  It will happen though, just give it time.
I am starting to get more adjusted as time goes on.  I still miss certain things like air conditioning, ice cubes, fresh produce, but I am sure I can fins those somewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment