Friday, January 6, 2012

Thus far

I arrived in Gaborone, the capital of Botswana, on Wednesday January 4th after 3 exhausting days of traveling.  This first thing I noticed was how incredibly hot it was.  We aren't talking the humid summers of Chicago or the dry heat of New Mexico, but rather a mixture of both.  I can't tell if it is dry or humid, only that I feel like I am in an oven.  Luckily, both of my bags arrived! I was a bit worried they were going to get lost somewhere between Albuquerque, Phoenix, New York, Johannesburg, and Gaborone.

Once I arrived at the university,  I met with my fellow international students and we bonded over the fact that we are all experiencing intense culture shock.  We had orientation and visited a near by mall (where I immediately purchased a fan), and we are beginning to get the layout of the land.  Tonight I was able to try an authentic Botswana meal.  It was interesting.  The most exotic part was the worm that I ate, it was definitely different, and definitely not for me.


Here is a link more about the worms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonimbrasia_belina

I live in the Las Vegas dorms.  These are made up of double and singles and they are filled with both international students and locals.  My roommate will be a local, but she has not arrived yet.  Hopefully she won't mind the millions of questions I am going to ask her.

The culture here is much more laid back than I am use to and it is taking some time to adjust.  People here are quite more relaxed compared to the United States where if there is a task, it gets done immediately.  It is going to take some patience to get used to it, but I am definitely keeping an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment